Welcome to Independence High School, recognized in recent years by U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, Washington Post, Gerber Analytics and The Daily Beast as a "Nationally Recognized School of Excellence," one of America's Most Challenging HIgh Schools and one of the top 100 high schools in Ohio! With an average daily attendance of 354 students, we have a low student to teacher ratio (1 to 13) making learning even more personalized for our students.
What is new this year to our high school?
- We created a new computer technology teaching positioning for the 2018-19 school year.
- We continue to transition away from computer labs and integrate technology into the classroom environment.
- We created the IHS STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) hallway to support crucial 21st century skills and learning.
Here are some other impressive facts about our students and building:
- 160 AP tests were administered in 2018 vs. 37 tests in 2007
- 11 students earned "AP Scholar" designation for passing at least 3 exams
- 7 students earned "AP Scholar with Honor" for passing at least 4 exams with an average score of 3.25
- 5 students earned "AP Scholar with Distinction" for passing at least 5 exams with at least a 3.5 average
- 2 members of the Class of 2018 were recognized as "commended" students by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
- 80% of students participate in extracurricular activities.
- Independence High School has a state-of-the-art auditorium seating 1,154 with a professional-size stage and orchestra pit, making it one of the finest school-based performing arts venues in Ohio. Our music, drama and arts program offers numerous opportunities for our students to shine.
- There are numerous programs, clubs and activities to encourage healthy lifestyle choices and social-emotional support.
Our athletics program is outstanding, too!
- State Champions: Girls Golf (2017) and Cross Country (2009 and 2010)
- State Runners-up: Girls Golf (2016) and Cross Country (2011)
- Final Four Teams: Volleyball (2017) Baseball (2010)
- 35 Conference Team Championships over the past 10 years
- 25+ All Ohio athletes over the past 10 years
If you have any questions about Independence High School or would like a personal tour, don't hesitate to email or call Mr. Jamie Hogue, our principal, at (216) 642-5860, ext. 1200.
Be sure to check back often for the latest news below . . .